Our Mission Statement
- To bring Island Artists together and facilitate others to visit our studios
- To share and exhibit original art and fine crafts work within our unique and the wider community
- Engage and inform others of a variety of art forms that can be commissioned and purchased through individual artists and local galleries
- Live and work on Mersea Island off the coast of Essex, near Colchester
- We exhibit together regularly throughout the year, on and off Mersea
- We hold an annual Open Studios event in the early summer, when our working studios are open to the public
Mersea Island off the Essex coast is reached by crossing a causeway from the mainland. The minute you step over this mystical threshold you are transported to a world of salt air, beautiful beaches, sailing, oysters and art. The natural beauty of the Island has attracted numerous artists over the years, and many of them have been drawn to make their homes here.
Island Artists was established in late 2014, in order to bring Mersea Island artists together for mutual support, and to show work as a group. The first Mersea Open Studios was in the May of 2015, and has gone from strength to strength since then.
2016 saw the group attracting hundreds of visitors over the long weekend of the Mersea Open Studios, the first Friday to Sunday in June last year and this year, which is launched with a group show at Mersea's very own Art Café. The theme for the 2017 show is Meresaia: an ancient name for Mersea dating from 1086 which may be derived from the Saxon name Meres-eg, the island of the mere. ‘Mere’ denotes a pool. The show is open from 2nd June to 14th June 2017.
Over this time Island Artists has expanded to 15 participants, and the artists will take part in Mersea Open Studios on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th June 2017. This years’ group consists of David Britton, Nicola Contreras, Torill Dodgson, Leafy Dumas, Myrna Fahie, Anne-Marie Jacobs, Elizabeth Morris, Gina Newson, Victoria Norton, Vinny Stapley, James Weaver, Jean Woods, Chrissie Westgate, Colin Westgate, and one more artist who is currently being selected by the group.
Last year saw the introduction of workshops during the Open Studios weekend, which proved very popular with visitors. Many of our artists offer workshops throughout the year, and are also open to commissions from private and corporate clients.
Island Artists are building a strong and supportive arts community on Mersea Island - one which offers choice and convenience to clients whilst facilitating access to high quality, innovative work, and the opportunity to participate in professional artist-led workshops.
Island Artist provide...
Follow this link for...